Friday, October 2, 2009

thoughts on chasing continued/updated

Edited/added onto 10/2/09 after having a small discussion with other chasers who have similar ideas of why they chase. Disclaimer: these are my thoughts. You don't have to read them if you don't want to. I was in a writing mood. I just got done watching a documentary on Greensburg and then watched Dick McGowan and Darin Brunin's rare videos of Greensburg (thank you both for your service to the city of Greensburg). Watching these videos had me thinking about why I want to chase storms. I wanted to share this with you all. I felt it was important. I do get very excited about storms and storm chasing. I have a passion for it that I can't imagine going away anytime soon. I do tend to enjoy severe storms and the adrenaline that comes from chasing them can be amazing. I admit all of that. However, I absolutely abhor it when I hear a town has been hit or there's any kind of damage or someone has been hurt or killed. I am not storm chasing for fame or money. I am storm chasing to help increase warning times so families can get to their safe shelter. I am getting my CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training this fall so I can assist in the aftermath of a damage path. I am still in awe of the power of a storm and how it can do so much damage and wreck havoc in people's lives. If I can help one person while storm chasing it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Spotter Network